Monday, December 2, 2013

Most updated thoughts of my research topic

So far my most recent research question is: “How are music videos that contain explicit material or ‘risky’ behavior promoting sexuality in young adults and changing the cultural and societal norms?”  Before my research question was: “Are music videos changing the cultural and societal norms for young adults?”  I added explicit material and promoting sexuality because I think it’s more narrowed and my final paper will be stronger.  My most recent thesis is: “In mass media specifically music videos that contain explicit material or risky behavior are changing young adults’ cultural and societal norms while promoting sexuality.”
            From my research, I’ve found out it’s evident that explicit music videos have been promoting sexuality through not just young adults, but also as young as pre-teens.  More and more pre-teens and teenagers are twerking, which is sexual and eventually they post videos of them doing the dance online.  I still need to do a lot of research, but I think I’m also going to add in how Miley Cyrus’ VMA performance was a shock to America and now anyone is able to see the performance online if they wish.  Also, I’m planning on adding in Robin Thicke’s controversial song, “Blurred Lines” which many women believe it’s a song about rape and the women in the music video are objects rather than humans.  I have four scholarly articles that express how sexuality of young adults is changing because of explicit music videos.

            For the organization of my essay, I’m planning to give an introduction of music videos, then go on about more explicit and risky behavior shown in newer videos.  I’ll explain how genre, gender, race, the sexual objectification have become more acceptable in today’s culture.  I’ll add in some other artists who are part of explicit material and risky behavior music videos.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Christina! I think that your research question and thesis are good for investigation of popular culture development. I agree with you in this point of view:"Genre, gender, race, the sexual objectification have become more acceptable in today’s culture."
    In my opinion, it is very good way to analyze some video which have been promoting sexuality through not just young adults, but also as young as pre-teens. I think that it is not normal when sexuality became like a show. It is very low level of pop culture.
    “In mass media specifically music videos that contain explicit material or risky behavior are changing young adults’ cultural and societal norms while promoting sexuality.” Good thesis and I like your resent presentation.
    Tatiana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your topic sounds interesting. I’m curious about how these videos promote (or conflict with) traditional gender roles. I have a few other questions, too. Answer them or ignore them in your essay however you want—I’m just throwing ideas out there right now.
    How have our social standards and definitions of inappropriate materials changed in the last 50 years? What has changed them? How does the difference in socially acceptable video content altered behavior? What does this reflect about society’s current values and attitudes? Is this a positive or negative trend? If anything needs to be addressed due to its negative impact on society, how do individuals go about changing it; what alterations should people make in their personal behavior? Is censorship a reasonable option in order to limit the amount of inappropriate content available to the general public, or do we already have a social form of censorship in place? Is social censorship enough?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that your idea is very interesting. Personally I do think that the music videos now a days are really explicit when it comes to the way women are portrayed. I think the question that you have chosen t ask is good and your thesis so far is also good. So far i think that what you have written is really good as well. I like the way you talked about your videos and how you analyze the videos. I think that its good that you how are also talking about race and gender a well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christina I think you have an excellent thesis of the risky sexuality being exhibited in the music video these days. The strength of your paper seems to lie in the popular trends of pre-teen twerking. Miley Cyrus is an excellent example of the sexuality being portrayed publicly on national TV. It was interesting how her performance was not censored having known that award shows are to be watched with families sometimes. The reaction being lead of the thousands of tweets per minute portrayed how shocking this event was exactly. This can become a strength foundation of your essay. Great topic to analyze.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great topic! Glad to hear you narrowed it down to explicit videos. Twerking is not something I’m familiar with but if I understand correctly—I think you should keep the subject to “licensed” videos made by well-known artists—not homemade music videos.

    ReplyDelete